Tuesday, November 10, 2015

It's Turkey Time in TK

Oh my goodnessI can’t believe it is already November. My classroom has had a quick turnover just like the department stores, except I refuse to skip Thanksgiving. I sent home the witches, ghosts, and bats with parents when they came to school to celebrate Halloween with us. Little did they know that I had an ulterior motivethey had to find all of their own child’s artwork, take it down, and pack it up to go home with them. Genius of me I might say. It saved me so much time climbing up on the desks and sorting them into cubbies. My classroom was ready and the turkeys were flying in the very next day.  






My partners and I have created so many wonderful activities for November that it is hard to pick which one to do with my kiddos. One of my favorites is the 3D Pilgrims and Native Americans. They look so cute on a bulletin board and the students love the writing portion.  They come up with funniest things that we should eat instead of turkey.  This year’s classic was, “Save a turkey. Eat fried worms.” When I asked the little boy how he came up with that suggestion, he told me his older brother was reading the book, How to Eat Fried Worms. 


These cute craftivities can be purchased at our TPT store. It comes with many other activities including an informational text about the voyage of the Mayflower. Too advanced for my TKers to read by themselves, but I made a copy and read it to my class and then put it in our class library.


Yesterday, I  decided to make hanging turkeys with my whole class.  AGHHH! I don’t know what I was thinking, but BIG MISTAKE! I guess art with 20 four and five year olds and just me was a little too much to take on. They had a tough time getting their paper feathers to stick to the body. I suggested holding it down and counting to 30. Think againsome of us are still learning to count to 10.  As I picked the turkeys up to hang in the room, feathers were falling out everywhere. Our turkeys look more like plucked chickens, but the kids love them.  I can’t wait to see how our Turkey Math Craft goes next week.

November Math Turkey Craftivity



No comments:

Post a Comment