Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Halloween Excitement in TK


I don’t know about anyone else, but my kiddos are so excited about Halloween it is hard for them to think about anything else.  The social chatter is all about what costume they are going to wear. So far, I have an Elsa and Anna, Spiderman, a firemen, a few witches, a skeleton, and Olaf. The other kids haven’t decided yet, but I have a feeling I may see a few more Frozen characters by the sound of it. I know that I contribute to all of their excitement. We have been writing in our October Writing Journals and my room is filled with hanging witches, spiders, October Monthly Math Craftivities, and owls. You can purchase some of these products in our TPT store.  


                                                                                     
              




October's Monthly Math Craftivity



I have a great craft and treat planned for our classroom party the Friday before Halloween. I found these darling Mummy Hot Dogs on Frugal Coupon Living website.




They are really easy to make and taste great! My kiddos will love making them and I can't wait to see how excited they are when they come out of the oven. I must say that when they add the ketchup it might get a little gory. Maybe I will just have mustard! 

All you need to make these is: (This is for 8 Mummies) 
·    1 can Crescent Roll Dough
·    2 American Cheese slices
·    8 Hot Dogs
·    16 Candy Eyes or pieces of black olive (optional)
·    Cooking spray
Directions:
1.   Preheat oven to 375.
2.  Cut each cheese slice into 4 strips.
3.  Unroll dough and separate into 4 rectangles (crimp diagonal cuts in each one together).
4.   Cut each rectangle lengthwise into 1/2 strips and join 2 together to form one long “bandage”.
5.  10 pieces, making a total of 40 pieces of dough. Slice cheese slices into quarters (1/2 slice cheese, cut in half).
6.  Wrap “bandage” of dough around each hot dog and 1/4 slice of cheese.
7.  Make sure to leave a gap for face.
8.  Place wrapped hot dogs (cheese side down) on non stick cookie sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray.
9.  Bake 15 minutes or until dough is lightly brown.
10.Place a small piece of cheese where eyes go and place in oven to melt slightly.
11. Place 2 eyes on each mummy.


For our craft project, Paper Plate Spider Webs, will be the perfect activity to do on Friday morning before the school Halloween parade.



 In TK we are working daily on improving and strengthening our fine motor skills. I always tell the kids to “flex your muscles” before we do an activity that really makes those little fingers work. They all stand up and do the muscle man stance, grimacing and posing with their arm muscles tight. This little exercise seems to help eliminate the groans and ughs when we are about to do tear art or use clothespins as a tool to pick up objects. When I saw this spider web craft, I knew that I could "trick" my TKers. Stringing the yarn through the holes is a perfect activity for my TK kiddos to practice those fine motor skills while having fun. I can't wait to do this with them and send them home  to hang in their windows for Halloween. There are great pictures of this craft and step by step instructions on SheKnows website.



No comments:

Post a Comment